19 years of KeepCalling!
On June 1st, KeepCalling is turning 19! 19 years since the business was founded and started helping people all over the world keep in touch with their loved ones. These 19 years represent a story about hard work (and fun work) and success. Nothing came easy, of course, but we managed to build a strong business, one of the best telecommunications companies on the market.
2002 was the year!
Remember what you were doing 19 years ago in 2002 or how the world looked like back then? Going back in time, we can tell you this. 2002 was the year when…
- Michael Jackson receives the Artist of the Century award at the American music awards.
- Funeral of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother at Westminster Abbey UK. More than a million people line the streets.
- Russia and the United States sign the Moscow Treaty.
- The Mars Odyssey finds signs of large ice deposits on the planet Mars.
- The African Union is established in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The first chairman is Thabo Mbeki, President of South Africa.
- Hungarian writer and Holocaust survivor Imre Kertész is awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.
- ‘A Beautiful Mind’ wins the Best Picture award at the Oscars.
Annnnd the year when we started as a business as well. A pretty important year we would say. 🙂
How did it all begin?
Let’s go back in time and see how this adventure started and how it evolved.
- It all started back in 2002, in Americus, a small town in Georgia, USA. Florin Miron, a Romanian journalism graduate, was working as a video editor for Habitat for Humanity when it became obvious to him that using phone cards was as much his routine as any immigrant’s.
- The first platform for virtual calling cards was launched in 2002 and it was dedicated to Romanians living in the US.
- The initial investment was $100. At first, Florin bought the actual phone cards himself and scraped the PINs to deliver them to the customers. He transformed his apartment into a home office and started learning e-commerce and web tools.
- As the business evolved, three friends offered their help to Florin (one experienced in Finance, one in Customer Relations, and one in Human Resources). KeepCalling’s Customer Support voice was also one of Florin’s friends, providing assistance in English and Spanish, from her own home office in Cochabamba, Bolivia.
- Our pilot site was SunaRomania.com where we focused on delivering methods to help Romanian expats stay closer to their relatives back home. But not only Romanian expats miss home, right?!
- After SunaRomania.com KeepCalling launched various ethnic websites dedicated to specific nationalities like SigueLlamando.com, HablaCuba.com, AlloFrance.com. The purpose was the same: help them get in touch easier with their home country.
- Once the method test, succeed, repeat helped KeepCalling reach the main telecom players league, the time came to adapt & succeed. The company added new products to satisfy the needs of its customers: Mobile Recharge in 2010 and MVNO in 2015.
Take their word for it
We have reliable products and features and we approach our customers with transparency and simplicity. We had to learn fast and adapt even faster to the current market, to the dynamics of the online environment, and to the telecom industry. The quality of the service is very important to us. Our customers are treated as real people with real wishes, just like any of us.
Our customers have always guided our steps with constructive reviews, always letting us know what we still have to improve and what works well for them. Some reviewers even added personal touch, coming up with original feedback. Here are some reviews on Trustpilot from our customers, if you want to take their word for it.
When you’re on a good thing stick with it. I’ll stick with KeepCalling. It’s great.
The price of unlimited phone call to my home country is too(-_-) cheap! Not only I am happy with the price but also the quality of phone call is just so good. Huge Thanks from me.